Sunday, July 12, 2009

Week 3 Update

This week I wrote some great things in my journal, but forgot it on the bus... so I'll try to give y'all a quick update before it is time to head back. This week has been jammed pack so of course I'll go into more detail later.

Tororo: In my last post I mentioned I want in Tororo. While the village has been eye opening, Tororo materialized all that I had read about an African city. Banks were housed in pristine first world style buildings while other shops were jammed into tiny rooms with overflowing items. To get to the marketplace we had to walk down narrow alley ways lined with small outdoor shops. Every smaller alleyway intersecting with the main one revealed shanty town style huts with women washing dishes or laundry. Rural poverty has affected our thoughts on development greatly, but is masked by the land... in the city poverty is right smack in your face.

Birthday: As most of you might know, especially all my facebooking friends... Wednesday was my birthday and while I missed being near many of you, I had one of the most spectacular birthdays ever. I was woken up by two of the group members banging on my door singing happy birthday. From that point until yesterday I was constantly barraged by happy birthday wishes by the 18 members of the group along with many of the NGO staff. The director of the NGO even told me that if it wasn't for dietary restrictions of kashrut (kosher) they would have slaughted a chicken, a turkey AND a goat to prepare for a feast in my honor.

Thursday we had an extremely beautiful celebration of the four group member's birthdays that have happened or will happen during our trip in addition to one birthday from the NGO staff... Seth, one of the most compassionate men I've ever met. It was moving to celebrate my birthday with such fantastic people. Two years in a row with such company over two continents!

Sipi Falls: My time is almost out and I promise I will be sharing more about Sipi Falls soon, but google about it and find some images. I have seen some amazing places in Israel and the States, but this was beyond breathtaking.

I have to go, but looking forward to seeing and talking to you all soon. Although I love this place!

No comments: