Sunday, July 5, 2009

Week 2 Update

My fear has come true and I have failed at keeping up with my journal about 8 or 9 days ago. I will continue to push myself, but there is so much to do and so little time. When I get some downtime when we still have light I have ended up reading or talking with people. Don't worry, I will absolutely continue to share the best highlights on here when I get a chance to update. I'll make this one quick though:

Our first project: We have started helping to build a four classroom building at Makaur Primary School, a highly connected village adjacent to Ramogi. Well, emphasis on helping since we mostly have just carried bricks from a pile about 500 yards away or from one side of the site to another while the Ugandans do the real construction work. We're glad to be assisting while experiencing their culture.

My Ugandan name: After a few days of work we were promised to be given Ugandan names, or more accurately, Dipadola names. Dipadola being the dialect spoken in Ramogi and Makaur. My name is Jaweri which means a boy born during a song, the closest possible name to Leran which means "my song"

My city trip buddy is waiting patiently so I will wrap up now. I'm safe and very happy although I definitely miss some luxuries such as reliable light and certain foods. Surprisingly it has been very easy to go without internet. My friends are taking many pictures so I will fill in the huge gaps for all of you when I return.

Afoyo! (Dipadola for thank you)

No comments: