Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Recipe-Peanut Butter Apple Muffins

After making my chocolate chip muffins I started to think what else I could make in muffin form. This morning having run out of bagels, cereal and all other breakfast foods and not wanting to go to the store on an empty stomach I decided to whip up muffins. Instead of repeating the chocolate chip ones I diced up some Granny Smith apples and peanut butter chips to make these yummy things. To be honest I prefer my chocolate chip ones so far, something about chocolate is hard to resist! Also in attempts to offset the moisture of the apples I think I may have used too much salt and I also didn't bake them quite long enough. Both easy things to fix though. The recipe below is with some 100% guaranteed changes I'm going to make.

The only other complaint I have about this experiment was that the taste of the peanut butter and the apples aren't as highlighted as I wish they would be. Of course I'm going to try again and I'll post any huge updates. I broke one of these open and added some honey to make for a sinful early afternoon snack... enjoy!


  • 2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 4 teaspoon cinnamon (split into 2-2 teaspoons)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (split into 2-1/4 teaspoons)
  • 2 large egg
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2/3 cup rolled oats
  • 2/3 cup diced and peeled Granny Smith apples
  • 2/3 cup peanut butter chips

    1. Preheat oven to 400°F
    2. Peel and dice apple (took me little over a half of a big apple)
    3. Toss apples with 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt and oats
    4. Toast apples and oats while preparing the rest of the muffin batter. If you time it right they should be ready when the batter is ready, but I would keep a watchful eye that they don't burn. If the oats are becoming golden, it's toasted enough.
    5. In a bowl whisk together the flour, the sugar, the baking powder and the remaining cinnamon and salt.
    6. In another bowl whisk together the egg, the vanilla, the butter, and the milk, stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until the mixtures are just combined, and stir in the oats and the chocolate chips.
    7. Divide the batter among 12 1/2-cup muffin tins and bake the muffins in the middle of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Unless your oven regularly burns things, opt for 20... my muffins seemed done at 15, that was a huge mistake for me this time
      Just going in
      5 minutes
      10 minutes
      15 minutes (looked done to me, this is where I made my mistake)

    8. Transfer the muffins to a rack, let them cool slightly, and serve them warm.






    1 comment:

    Suzanne and Oren said...

    I want some mailed to me! Looks good.